Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Featured wire jewelry designer: Anna Cordner from Noria Jewelry


Welcome to a unique and fantastic world of intricate and at the same time very detailed and delicate statement wire wrapped jewelry. The world of Anna Cordner, the owner of Noria Jewelry. She runs her shop from her home studio in northern Virginia. Anna opened her shop in April of 2009.

“My mother’s father is a geologist and lapidary, my dad made jewelry when I was young and my mother involved me in her many arts and crafts projects. 
I always had a keen interest in rocks as a child and my grandfather’s knowledge and enthusiasm fueled this interest. 
The crafting and creative atmosphere my parents provided for me led to a talent in drawing. As a youth I made jewelry from beads I made from polymer clay, strung glass beads on necklaces and learned to use needle nose pliers to open and close jump rings.
Making jewelry was a very natural, easy and fun activity but it wasn’t until after the birth of my first son that I considered selling jewelry. I found I needed to seriously undertake a creative outlet to help me adjust to motherhood but to justify the cost of buying supplies, selling my creations had to be a part of the equation."

"I started out making beaded bracelets. 
Then one day I was on the internet and stumbled upon another artist’s wire wrapped jewelry. I had never seen advanced wire wrapping techniques and was highly intrigued. 
I researched wire wrapping online and decided to venture beyond beading. 
Through much trial, error and experimentation I began to understand and eventually gain a command of wire wrapping. 
My long-forgotten drawing skills have been put to use drafting sketches and designing new pieces."

“It is the continuous experimentation and learning that I find so enjoyable, besides pouring my mind’s fanciful wishes and artistic fantasies into something tangible.”

Can you describe the steps you take in designing and creating a piece?
“I start with a sketch. I know some designers prefer to create more organically but I rely on having a precise roadmap for my pieces. 
I can recreate them almost exactly if I have my sketch. 
Generally, I begin with a base shape of wire then embellish with ‘supporting’ detail flourishes. Other times the stones primarily determine the design.” 

What inspires you?
“I find inspiration from Indian mehndi and henna and their use of bold colors. 
I also find much inspiration in the vast elements of Victorian and Edwardian styles, particularly the floral motifs and filigree lines. 
Stones are inspiration to me, from the rough and uncut specimens to sparkling gemstones. 
Lastly, nature is a great source of inspiration. Sometimes when I find myself at a creative roadblock, I look at various types of flowers, finding patterns or color and delicate lines to help me along in generating my own designs.”

What inspires you?
“I find inspiration from Indian mehndi and henna and their use of bold colors. 
I also find much inspiration in the vast elements of Victorian and Edwardian styles, particularly the floral motifs and filigree lines. 
Stones are inspiration to me, from the rough and uncut specimens to sparkling gemstones. 
Lastly, nature is a great source of inspiration. Sometimes when I find myself at a creative roadblock, I look at various types of flowers, finding patterns or color and delicate lines to help me along in generating my own designs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment