Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Featured wire jewelry designer: Kasia Walczak - Nurrgula Jewelry


Photos: Kasia Walczak

My name is Kasia, I come from Poland but currently live near the beautiful Constance Lake (Bodensee) in Germany. I am a graduated journalist – I studied Journalism and Social Communication at the University of Warmia and Masuria in Olsztyn.

But from the early years I have been addicted to art. I love painting, drawing, decorating things and my home. And I love creating unique jewelry. All that I know, I have learned by myself, I have never been to jewelry school or any courses – which I regret. It would be easier with some jewelry school background.

My impulse to start making my own jewelry came from the need to be and look unique and original. I always wanted to have something else than my school friends, not another pair of earrings bought in the same shop. 

So I started looking for the techniques to make my own jewelry. At first it was just simple beads binding, but then I discovered wire wrapping technique. It was so precise, outstanding and new at the time, so I tried it. First with copper wires form my grandfather’s workshop, than with silver plated ones, and finally with fine and sterling silver wires. 

A few years ago I discovered also art clay as a very interesting technique and from now on I mix those two together, making one of a kind necklaces, earrings, bracelets...

My creating process starts with a stone. I try to use only natural precious and semiprecious stones. The stone is the central part of my jewelry, so my decisions are based on the stone choice. 

I don’t usually make any sketches or plans, I just let my hands find their own way of wrapping wires around the stone. That is also why I don’t repeat my patterns. I can make something similar to the piece I’ve made earlier, but never the same. I want my jewelry to be truly unique.

After all that wirework, I oxidize and polish the ready piece. I like my jewelry to be a little bit dark, victorian, romantic and also kind of ancient. So it never looks like a mirror, but I kind of like this raw and intriguing effect. My jewelry is hand made from the scratch, so it may be imperfect. But that makes it one of a kind.

My biggest inspiration is Mother Nature. Dancing snowflakes, frost paintings on the window, whispering trees, leaves on the wind, flowers, birds, water... all around me. I love organic and botanical jewelry, so I make my own silver leaves (mostly birch or oak ones) from Silver clay and add them to my wrapped jewelry. 

I also love all kinds of stones – from pebbles to the mountain rocks and real precious treasures, especially Labradorites and colorful Quartz. They inspire me too. I collect all kinds of old legends from my country and the rest of the world. 

Old slavic, norse or celtic sagas are a very good source of inspiration.

What I'd like people to know about me and my shop? Well... that I gladly make jewelry for custom orders. That if you buy something from me, you can be sure that it's a one of a kind and no one will have the same piece. 

That with jewelry you buy, you get also guarantee of having something unique, made with love and passion, and wrapped in a lovely box with a note from the bottom of my heart.
Kasia Walczak



No comments:

Post a Comment